Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I know I can’t, I know I can’t, I know I can’t

When Sarah came down last week we were discussing the fact that I make homemade baby food for my babies. Sarah jokingly {obviously, ‘cause seriously…have you met me?} said, “What can’t you do?” I instantaneously fell to the floor in uncontrollable laughter. Then 15 minutes later, when I had finally gained composure and caught my breath, I asked her to repeat the question. That way I could honestly say that I’d been asked that question twice in my life. Anyways… I would like to formally answer Sarah’s question. {Yes, I do consider the blog to be formal.} {And no, I don't think it was intended to be a hypothetical question.}

I can’t help that the more excited I am the faster and louder I talk. I can’t sing a single note in key. Yet I can’t listen to music without singing along. I can’t jump off a diving board and I can't gracefully snowboard down a hill. I can’t fit into a size zero, swallow prenatal pills, or cut in a straight line. I can’t draw, paint or sketch. I can’t watch “The Biggest Loser” without crying. I can’t go on a road trip with Spencer without playing, “remember when…?” I can’t get in bed without first checking on both my kids. I can’t focus when watching TV. I can’t help that I am addicted to American Idol. I can’t compete in a starring contest without laughing. I can’t put the newspaper in the recycling bin without reading “Dear Abby”. I can’t help but to feel guilty when money is spent on me. I can’t watch Dateline without Spencer, and even then I get uncomfortably scared. Yet, I can’t talk myself out of watching it. I can’t not read the cover of the magazines in the check-out line. I can't thank my parents enough. I can’t eat just one of anything. I can’t go to a fair without being reminded of Dairy Heifer 4-H. I can’t consecutively be early (or even on time). I can’t explain how happy Spencer makes me or how much joy Brynlee and Jace bring me. I can’t make myself scrapbook. And I can’t play basketball. And that’s the short list! There are many, MANY more things that I can’t do! What can’t you do?

4 comments:

sarah louise said...

I love this post. Most people think that "can't" is a negative thing. You have put a positive spin on it. You are awesome!

Thanks for answering my question by the way (:

Oh and I might just steal this idea!

Kali Jo said...

I CAN'T OPEN MY BLOG AND NOT READ YOURS. AND BY THE WAY THE BEST AND FAVORITE GIFT SARI GOT ON HER B-DAY WEDNESDAY WAY THE "PITTY ONE FROM KIN" SO THANKS KIM AND BRYN AND ESPECIALLY JACE AND SPENCE CAUSE IKNOW YOU BOY DID THE MOST WORK. :) I LOVED IT TOO.

The Walton Family said...

This totally made me laugh, because I always think the same thing about Jessica. There is nothing she can't do. You Branch ladies are amazing!

Miranda said...

I make my own baby food and am very confused about those who don't...because apparently I'm a snot like that. Here's what I can't do:
I can't stop trying to make people like brussels sprouts, and I can't spell surprise right the first time, EVER.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...