Monday, April 18, 2011

The moral: I turned a door into a picture frame

Okay.  So like a sweet forever ago I recommended my ever so hip and talented friend, Miranda, to be featured in our local At Home Magazine.  They were looking for local bloggers that blog about crafts, art, cooking and the like and since Miranda is a local blogger that blogs about crafts, art, cooking and the like I thought it to be a perfect fit.  And it was.  They featured her.

Anyway, somewhere in the email conversation mix of ‘Oh my goodness I have this awesome friend Miranda that blogs about craft, art, cooking and the like’ the editor of the At Home Magazine {we will call her Rebecca, mainly because that’s her name} asked if I would be interested in taking part in the “At Home Challenge”.

Sidenote:  Whenever I say “At Home Challenge” it is followed by a loud and mysterious don, don, don in my head.  You know, like the sound you would hear on a daytime soap opera when the handsome, albeit married, Michael realizes that the his current love affair is not only the woman once believed to have died in a horrible 4th of July firework accident, but also. . . his sister!  Don, don, don! 

Moving on. 

I replied to Rebecca’s invitation with some sort of “me, you really want me?  Sure, I’d love to.  But, me?  I’m not qualified.” rambling mumble jumble and then I saw something shiny and I forgot about it.  Until I got an email from her a month or two later asking if I was ready to take part in the “At Home Challenge”.  Don, don, don!  A bit about The Challenge: Rebecca comes up with a design slash decorating challenge and then extends it to local business owners, designers, photographers {or in my case, completely unqualified and ever so awkward stay at home moms} to produce some sort of end product in answer to her challenge.  Fun, right?  Our challenge was to find a new and interesting way to display photos.

I happened upon this old door at a local antique shop.  Truly, I happened upon it.  It was buried in the back storage room, covered with vintage dirt and spider webs.  The owner of the shop took me to the back room to show me some merchandise that had yet to be put on the sales floor.  She nodded at the old yellow door, if you want that you can have it.  Sold!  I loaded it into the Swagger Wagon, bought a couple cans of spray paint, some burlap and went to work.

Here’s my final product.  The old yellow door, before:


And my new and interesting way to display photos, the after:

The black blocks {that I edited} on the bottom of the frame spell our last name in burlap.  My main motivation of hanging our last name up there was so I would have hooks to hang our Christmas stockings on come December.

And here is the At Home Magazine article.


P.S.  I would love to share the link to the actual article with ya’ll, but I’m cautious about posting my last name and where I live on my bloggity blog.  If you are interested in reading the article in a print you can actually read, seeing what the other challenge contributors came up with, or reading Miranda's article leave me a note in the comments or email me {kimberleeunedited at gmail dot com} and I’ll send you the link.  Alrighty?  Alrighty.

22 comments:

Anna said...

Holy crap! This is AMAZING!!! YOU are amazing!! Thanks for the inspiration to get my crafting on! ;)

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

This is amazing!!! What a great idea...

And I totally agree about being careful sharing your last name.

Miranda said...

This project really is amazing. My dear friend, you are infinitely talented, and infinitely qualified. Says me. And I should know. I'm an expert on these sort of things.

mammabug said...

good job, that's awesome. And I totally can't wait to hear when you will be filling up that 5th stocking spot, wink, wink.

And email me the link.

trulymegs said...

This is awesome! I am now going to be in search for an old door that needs remodeling! I'd love to read the whole article!

Also-thank you so much for the comments you left :)

Candace said...

Kimberlee this is so awesome! And you say you're unqualified?? Please--you did SUCH a wonderful job! I'd love to read the article if you don't mind :)

Becca said...

WOW. i am very very impressed, that is so adorable! you win the crafty prize FOR SURE!

Kristen said...

This is SO cute! You are amazingly talented! My roommates and I have been sending each other ideas for our apartment next year and this one just got sent!

Angie said...

First off, you can facebook all you want but as soon as it starts interfering with the blog you will be hearing from me. And second, you made that!? You are talented in every sense of the word.

Angie said...

And will you email me the link? I want to read it.

Melissa: Write it in Lipstick said...

Wow that looks awesome you did a fantastic job, I am blown away I love it.

kebowman said...

OMG YOU are amazing!!!!!!!

kebowman said...

hey little lady! I've already commented on this post once... but i'm back to tell you that i passed an award on to you! go see!!

Jami said...

I already told you how much I like this idea, but here it is again! You did a super job!

Jessica said...

I love how it turned out!

Jen said...

I have such talented friends! I am amazed you are all even friends with me.

Kate said...

Beth tried to explain what you did....but it didn't give it justice! This is super cute! Love it! Makes me want to go find an antique door.....

Kimberlee said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the kind comments. I heart you guys, you know that, right?

kylee said...

oh my freakin goooodness. obsessed. that is the absolute cutest craft i have ever everrrr seen! you did an amazing job. you win the creativity award for sure.

Katie said...

Soooo cute! I'd love a link, too!

Kali Jo said...

whoosh! That is much better than the ideas we kicked around the other day at our house. It turned out so dang cute. So you know I am calling you for ideas for my next craft class right?!!

Unknown said...

This is one nifty idea! Who would have thought that you can upscale your old door to a picture frame. Well, remind me to make one for my room! But, if it were me, I would clean and repaint the old one and use it again for my kitchen.

Keven@SouthWestExteriors.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...