Thursday, May 15, 2008

Yum, Yum, Yum. Delicioso!

I have to admit that I am often pretty disappointed with our local newspaper and how they report on certain topics like, you know, the news. But every now and again they surprise me with something good. Yesterday they published something great, a BBQ recipe for Tomato-Balsamic Barbecued Chicken. I made it last night and thought it was worth sharing.

Tomato-Balsamic Barbecued Chicken
For the sauce:
6-ounce can basil-garlic flavored tomato paste (or a 6-ounce can of tomato paste mixed with a teaspoon of prepared pesto)
2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

For the chicken:
5 pounds chicken thighs and drumsticks
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions Preheat oven to 375 F. To make the sauce, in a small bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper. Set aside. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place on two rimmed baking sheets. Bake for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat a gas grill to medium-high or prepare a charcoal fire. Remove chicken from oven and cool for 5 minutes. If desired, remove the skin. Brush the chicken generously with the tomato-balsamic sauce. Grill the chicken, turning and basting frequently, until well browned and cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. And now for a little baby news. One of my BFF’s and old college roommates, Kali Jo, brought over an adorable set of onsies for new Baby Boy M. yesterday. Maybe it is because we were roommates for two years or because we share some kind of sisterhood bond, but the gift was exactly what I needed. I woke up in the middle of the night the night before completely stressed out at the fact that I didn’t have a single boy item in the house. Don’t laugh! I know I have 19 ½ good weeks before junior arrives, but in my wee little pregnant mind at 2:30 in the morning it was something to stress about. I mean, what happens if in the next 4 months I am unable to go to Walmart? That would leave me with the only option of wrapping our little guy in a pink blanket on the day that he arrives. Again, it seemed a lot more tramatic at 2:30 in the morning. Thank you Kali, for allowing me to sleep a little sounder last night knowing if the world shuts down tomorrow I will at least have a few onsies.

5 comments:

Jami said...

Yum...that chicken looks GOOOOOOD!!! And By the way....you win the DORK AWARD today on the baby thing :)....but I understand things are a lot more tramatic in the middle of the night!!!

sarah louise said...

You watch too much Dora!

Lacy said...

Wow, you have posted alot since I last had time to look. very exciting. I love reading about your life. Yay for a boy! I'm only 6 months into mine so I don't know tons but I love it. Even at 6 months they're WAY different than girls. The first little advice that you need to master... protection during diaper changing time. Open and let in the air a little bit, then close it back up so he can do his thing one more time. That way it doesn't get in his eye. Believe me, it will if you give it the chance hahahaha. That chicken sounds good!

Kali Jo said...

YOUR ARE MOST WELCOME!! YEA FOR BOYS (AND GIRLS TOO!)

mammabug said...

I never had the problem of him peeing in his eye but they do make pee pee tents. Little boys are great! And if you don't make it to Wal-mart you can come to Twin, I have a bunch of stuff that I couldn't part with, just in case. Penny's & Target have some pretty cute stuff. I got my crib set off ebay. I didn't want the sports or cars thing. I'll still believe it when I see it though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...