Wednesday, July 16, 2008

All In A Good Day's Work

My sister-in-law, Sarah, needed to make a trip to Ikea to purchase a desk for her little girl’s upcoming birthday. She invited me to tag along, and after a good long two seconds of thinking about it I agreed.

Then, my sister offered to watch Brynlee for the day. And again, after a deep two second internal debate (just so I wouldn’t seem too pushy) I decided to take her up on the offer.

Sarah and I dropped her three kids off at her mother-in-laws then made our way to “The Land of Sweet Swedish Home Décor Goodness” in a quiet mini-van filled with nothing but adult conversation. We rode the entire way from Odgen to Draper, Ut with nobody asking for their 12th pack of fruit snack or crying because the sun was in their eyes.

And yes, our kids are darling. We love our kids. But a break? A break is good. Even the Lord rested on the Sabbath.

Sarah and I had a great time visiting, laughing and shopping.

See these three shopping carts….that is ALL our stuff.
Of course, there was way more that we both wanted to buy, but we value our marriages and didn’t really want to look for a new place to live. However, we both gave into a few “wants” because marriage is about compromise.

Plus, Spencer is a powerlifter. Powerlifting is expensive. Do you know how much Protein costs? And, I don’t really understand how anyone could EVER need six different shirts for benching and six different suits for squatting. But then again, he doesn’t understand why I need multiple pairs of shoes in the same color. So I guess it all evens out.

After my shopping get-a-way I found my way back to my sister, Jessica’s, house. Brynlee had a great time playing with Maddie and Livvie for the day and Jessica and Kate had spoiled them rotten with swimming, popcorn and a movie, a trip to McDonalds and homemade cookies.
The next morning we took the kids to one of the coolest parks I have ever seen. I think Walt Disney himself would have at least given it 4 stars. The girls had a blast and didn’t even seem to notice that it was about 135 degrees outside.
Look at Livvie (on the right) in the second picture. Good thing she has a good grip on that swing!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

When I looked at that picture before I didn't notice Olivia looked like she was going to fall out! That is crazy!

Jami said...

Hey, Thanks for inviting me to the party, I really appreciate it!!! Brynlee looks really big in the picture of her and Maddie...I guess she is just getting ready to be a BIG sister!!!

sarah louise said...

You crack me up! You described our trip in a nut shell! I really cherish those quiet van rides and shopping without yelling at my kids to be good 500,000 times! Thanks for going with me. It was a blast.
Brett asked me if he had to ban me from IKEA, and I assured him that I was very good. Compared to all the things we wanted, we didn't buy much!

I need a copy of that picture.

Janita said...

That picture of Olivia is crazy!! Glad to hear you were able to get a good break - and shop!!

Stacey Crandall said...

I love the humor that you add to your blog. It is so fun to read. We just spent hours at IKEA this last week. I could spend BUKO BUCKS there. I hope that you are coming to the reunion in a couple weeks. I am looking forward to seeing you and your fam. Crazy how a computer page can help you to know your family better than a reunion.... but I think it does. :) The girls are so much fun to watch grow... something we would not see... I wouldn't even know you were pregnant if it were not for blogging!

gretta said...

ya I'm jealous that looked like a lot of fun :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...